Treadwell’s was established in 1939 by Mr and Mrs J.W Treadwell, 344 Stratford road was originally a hardware store and home to the Treadwell’s. Soon after the business was set up, Jim was called for service. Peggy kept the business running, making a mere 12 and 6 pence and week, until his permanent return in 1944, the year their first child Susan was born.
After the war in 1945 business improved, they specialised in paint and cut glass, increasing sales to £100 a week.
Their second child and current director William (Bill) was born in 1951.
They eventually bought 342 Stratford road to expand the premises and introduce soft furnishings and furniture.
Bill joined the company in 1967 and is still running the company with his eldest Son Neil.
Treadwell’s is still a family run business, offering a personal and bespoke service